Saturday, November 13, 2010

Toning Down Thanksgiving

Normally, since Thanksgiving is the Anniversary, we have a big blow-out bash.

This year, I'm surprised to find that no one is objecting to my idea of toning things down a bit.  Instead of 20+ dishes, I'm only going to make about 5 or 6.

I thought for certain I'd hear from the Hubby about not making a ham AND a turkey.  When I mentioned that I'd rather just have a turkey, he was all, "Sounds fine to me..."

Bah- why have I been killing myself with a lack of sleep for the past five years just to turn out a giant dinner?

So, dinner this year will be:
Honey Brined Turkey with a Ginger-Stout Glaze
Green Beans with a Warm Bacon Vinagrette
Sourdough and Kielbasa Dressing
Horseradish Mashed Potatoes
Cranberry Gelee
Pepper Gravy
Cornbread

I'll also probably, depending on how many "orphans" I have RSVP poke through the cabinets/pantry/freezer to see what else I can cobble together.  After all, I'm pretty sure I'll make a pie and cookies-I always do.  I know that I also have the ingredients on hand for cheesecake.

Eh.  I'm actually kind of relieved.  I'm still fighting bouts of weakness from the blood poisoning, so, while I'm up and running again, my batteries get low really quickly.
-----------------------------------

On the other side of things, I've discovered that 90 percent of my gift needs will be met at Toys R Us Black Friday sale.  I'm not a happy camper.  I hate hate hate shopping at TRU.  I hate commercial crap and lines and plastic toys.  But, everything on the kids list (excluding the guinea pig) is on sale at TRU... if I can get in line early enough. 

So, most likely, I'll be going to TRU immediately after Thanksgiving dinner and spending the entire night shopping there and waiting for our paycheck to hit at 2 am.

Grr.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you-