Friday, December 31, 2010

So Many Possibilities!

I'm very excited.

VERY.  VERY.  VERY.  Excited.

After half a year of "unschooling" Chaos, the Type A Mama in me couldn't resist fretting about his evaluation in April.  Doing the odd workbook isn't real school work.  Playing outside all day isn't school work.  Watching Phineas and Ferb reruns is DEFINITELY NOT school work.  So, I pulled up a list of "first grade skills" and began reading over it.  Whoa- what an eye opening experience!  Chaos has completed 2/3 of the list of skills.  (I honestly was worried that he'd even pass Kindergarten- he's so stubborn about doing anything schooling related.)  He's right on track, exactly where he needs to be.  The best part of this is that HE'S TEACHING HIMSELF.  Sure, I step in and offer a bit of guidance, but for the most part, my little mad scientist is learning what he wants to learn at his own pace. 

The Husbeastie and I talked it over, and Chaos will be starting some additional activities.  At the moment, he's involved with the local home school co-op (they have monthly events like PE, science, art, and volunteering and social opportunities) and Boy Scouts.  He's been asking to join 4H ever since we went to the County Fair last fall.  We're also starting him with jogging- that boy can run ALL DAY LONG.  I have a suspicion that he's a natural free-runner, but I'm not encouraging him to leap fences and cars.  (I already hear complaints about him and flower beds when he's tracking animal scat trails- EW!)  We're talking about swim classes but we're holding off on that until pneumonia season is over.

I love watching my bigger wee man play.  He's so creative (but don't let him know I said that!) even if he's horridly loud.  The kidlet has never heard of quiet play time.

I'm looking forward to the year ahead!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Congrats! A driven, active, and play-oriented mind is brilliant. As for 4-H, I got into it when I was 9 (after much pleading), in the Guide Dogs for the Blind program, and it was one of the best community-involvement things I ever did. Good on you both for encouraging and supporting him in his activities. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much, Beth! I'm from an area where I lived too far out in the farms to attend 4H, but I loved that it offered so many opportunities for its members. I'm hoping that he will get to attend- as soon as I find out where the local 4-H is.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you-